Major Joseph Delafield, president of the New York Lyceum of Natural History, purchased 257 acres in what was then still Westchester County in 1829. Today, the area is in the section of the Bronx known as Riverdale. Delafield purchased the land as a country retreat where he could bring parties to hunt wild boar. The hunting lodge originally on the property survives to this day. The property extended from Broadway to the Hudson River, with a manor house built in 1865. Rising costs, however, caused the Delafields to begin to search out other uses for the property....